Saturday 12 December 2009

Changing Impressions a.k.a. Goodbye for a while…

The fall-semester is drawing to a close. In these four months I have experienced many things and will be able to reminisce about many memories, both good and bad. All in all it wasn’t as much of a cultural shock as one would have expected for someone visiting Japan for the first time. Maybe it would have been different in Tokyo (as probably in most metropolitan cities), the mother of Japanese Popular Culture, and other strange things and inventions. However, besides all the obvious and not-so-obvious differences, we [i] share many commonalities. The most important one is: we are all human-beings made up of the same elements. This may sound a little bit cheesy but eventually it’s true.

What I sincerely respect about most Japanese people is their will to help and to communicate regardless of the many language barriers. I guess one will only encounter this neat phenomenon if she or he makes the first move. Yesterday for example I went to an Okonomi Yaki restaurant with a German friend of mine. To our left four elder ladies were obviously speaking about us. I greeted them and all of a sudden they started chatting with us. Actually they just wanted to mention how handsome we were [ii]. Nonetheless, this little anecdote doesn’t show that it’s easy to cultivate friendships with Japanese. Unfortunately there are still too many cultural values which I’ll probably never fully accept, let alone inherit. Basically, most encounters begin and end with some conversation I would call “small-talk”. However, I could never imagine an old lady in my hometown complementing me whatsoever. My dear readers, that’s Japan! You have to expect the unexpected.

What impressed me the most besides the people I have met was the astonishing harmony between the crowded cities and the rural places within. My image of the crowded landmarks and cities I’ve described in some of my previous posts changed after I have found some silent places surrounded by busyness. Even in Tokyo you will find peaceful and calm venues if you dare to search. Strictly speaking it’s all a matter of perspective.


(The crowded Shinjuku/Tokyo in contrast to...)

(... an ancient spot near Harajuku/Tokyo)

Speaking of perspective, lately I’m really worried about losing my thorough attention to detail. Moreover it is this habit which was the reason for neglecting many opportunities [iii]. The winter-break is coming in handy. I’m going to “visit” my native country and will consequently be able to take a step back from Japan (not only physically). In this respect I’m really wondering if my attention for detail will return after the end of my relatively long absence from my hometown… until daily routine and habit (no matter in which form or context it may be) will prevail again.

Endnotes:

[i] Me as speaking for both the visitors and the Japanese
[ii] That is actually something I experienced a lot. Groups of girls often talked about me even though they knew I was close enough to hear everything. Either they thought I couldn’t understand them anyway or they assumed that I believed they were thinking that I can’t understand them and at the same time actually hoped that I get anything of what they were talking about. Confusing, I know...
[iii] And yes, I was effectively able to accustom myself to the life here. Maybe it was because of the university system which had more of an international than a Japanese feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Very glad that you had so many positive experiences here in Japan. And thank you for sharing them here in your visual anthro blog. You've provided some nice pictures and many thought-provoking commentary. Keep on exploring and collecting perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you gonthros for your critical comments. Luckily one will never stop to learn, therefore dialogue is very important!

    ReplyDelete